Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Feeding the RSS dragon

So RSS feeds huh? Good stuff. I've been using Google Reader as my homeplace for RSS feeds for over a year now. I find it very convenient to have on my Google homepage along with the weather, news headlines etc., so that its all in one place. I have a lot of different blogs that I am subscribed to in RSS format and I see some benefits to having them compiled in one place- less clicking!! However, I still have a set of Favorites both at home and at work that I could put on my Google Reader but just keep in link format cause there is something comforting about the scrolling on the favorites list to find what I'm looking for and to check each blog in the same order each day. Wow... crazy much?
Anyway, I'm pretty addicted to blogs so I can see how patrons could be as well and would want to include the library in their addiction. Hopefully we will be able to see how some of these possibilities work with Aquabrowser... we should be able to allow patrons to sign up for RSS for their favorite authors or favorite topics when we recieve new items. It would also be effective if we EVER get a library blog for reader's advisory etc. etc. so that they could sign up for that as well. We could do a similiar thing for upcoming events at "your" branch- get notified 2 weeks in advance or something like that.
Oh the possibilities...

2 comments:

hravan said...

I'm glad you are finding a use for your RSS. I haven't used mine much. I also have an iGoogle page I don't use much. I guess it is all habit. I should make it my start page on my new laptop. That would help! But I'd have to figure out how to do it. I got a Macbook over the summer and still haven't really put in the effort to figure out how it all works. Lazy, lazy, lazy. . . . Should stop twittering so much. That might help!

Cynthia said...

The EVER won't be as far off as you might think. :-)